Direct Support Personnel
||Direct Support Personnel
||Avancer Homes LLC
||Cortland, Davis Junction, Dekalb, Genoa, Sycamore
Click here to download as a PDF
Direct Support Personnel
GENERAL FUNCTION: Implement individual and concurrent programs under the direction of the Associate Executive Director.
Provide supervision and oversight of the physical and mental well-being of the Individuals. Provide an abuse/neglect free environment
for all Individual's served. Supports the agency's Vision, Mission and Core Values.
REPORTS TO: Associate Executive Director
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Have thorough knowledge of the Individuals' programs and be able to demonstrate the implementation of, and the rationale for, the programs.
2. Implement Individual goals and programs as outlined in the Individual Service Plan (ISP).
3. Electronically document data on the Individuals' programs as required in the ISP.
4. Maintain a daily log of incidents, activities, and occurrences on each Individual.
5. Assist and instruct Individuals with medication administration, activities of daily living (eating, drinking, hygiene, dressing) meal preparation, housekeeping, and laundry.
6. Assist and instruct Individuals regarding access to community resources and services.
7. Assist and instruct Individuals in the management of their financial resources.
8. Ensure a safe and comfortable environment which fosters independence and individual choice.
9. Ensure a well maintained home with regular inspections.
10. Provide input and feedback to Residential Manager on matters concerning Individuals.
11. Inform the Nurse concerning medical issues, emergency room visits, new medication orders, labs and follow ups.
12. Participate in emergency evacuation and emergency procedures to ensure the safety of the Individuals served.
13. Intervene, document and inform the administrative staff in regard to medical, behavioral, or personal situations for Individuals..
14. Inform the Residential Manager as to the need of program supplies and household supplies for the assigned house.
15. Inform the Director of Support Services of safety or maintenance issues.
16. Assist in transition duties, which include, but are not limited to driving vans during AM and PM transition according to schedules. Ensuring Individuals and equipment are secure for a safe transport. Assist Individuals into the buildings and homes.
17. Report all incidents and accidents, no matter how minor, to the Director of Support Services immediately.
18. Report all unsafe, hazardous conditions or malfunctioning equipment to the Director of Support Services immediately.
19. Be knowledgeable and thoroughly adhere to and implement all policies and procedures.
20. Ensure the rights and confidentiality of the Individuals served are protected at all times.
21. Attend all in-services, training sessions and department meetings as required.
22. Other duties as assigned by the Residential Manager, or Associate Executive Director.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: HS Diploma or GED required
No disqualifying criminal history
Certified Direct Support Personnel (DSP) or the ability to complete DSP training
Eighteen years of age or older
Valid Illinois driver's license preferred and ability to maintain a good driving record
Ability to lift 50 lbs
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED: Van, automobile, copier, telephone, fax, and computer
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hand or finger
to handle or operate and to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance,
stoop, kneel, crouch, reach with hands or arms and run.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty pounds. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed primarily in the assigned unit, and occasionally in vehicles, meeting rooms both
in the building and at other Agency sites.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed,
but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel
so classified. Also, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the
discretion of the employer.